Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Book Review: Faithful to Laura by Kathleen Fuller

I recently finished reading "Faithful to Laura" by Kathleen Fuller. I enjoy the Christian Amish/Mennonite genre, and so when I had the opportunity to read and review "Faithful to Laura", I willingly jumped at the chance! Fuller does not disappoint in this novel. To my knowledge, I've never read any of her writings previously, but I will keep my eye out for her books from now on. She has this great way of describing the characters, and you actually feel like you know them by the time you get halfway through the book. I adored the story of Sawyer and Laura, and how they find common ground to connect and form a relationship. Both come from outside the community, and struggle with fitting in for different reasons. They have lots of baggage, but once each can convince the other to trust, Sawyer and Laura find that they're not so different. One thing I appreciated about this novel was how respectful the author was of the characters' relationships with God. The Amish tend to have a quiet faith, from my understanding, and while Fuller certainly included plenty of tidbits and anecdotes about the character's spiritual lives, she didn't go overboard or attempt to proselytize in this story. {And, so that you understand my perspective, I am a follower of Jesus... I just get frustrated sometimes when authors make faith seem so simple and easy and concrete. It's not.} I am grateful for the opportunity to read and review this book, which was provided to me by the publisher. Any opinions expressed are my own, and I did not receive any compensation for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment